Town Manager, Interim
Phone: (603) 968-4432
Fax: (603) 968-3776
Ashland Town Manager — Job Description — Approved by the Board of Selectmen, April 15, 2019
From the Office of the Town Manager:
Welcome to the Town of Ashland. We hope you find this website informative and easy to use. You will find department specific information and contact links on each of the department web pages. If you have questions or concerns that are not addressed by the appropriate department, feel free to email the Town Manager or call (603) 968-4432.
The Board of Selectmen and Town staff are committed to achieving excellence in the delivery of community services and we are very much interested in your advice and suggestions.
In prior years the Town of Ashland has functioned as a Board of Selectmen/Town Manager form of government, but the position was re-established by the voters in 2019.
The Town Manager is appointed by the Board of Selectmen and serves at their pleasure to function as the Chief Executive and Administrative Officer of the Town. The Town Manager is responsible for:
- Proper administration of all the departments of Town government.
- Carries out policy decisions of the Board of Selectmen.
- Oversees all property, real and personal, owned by the Town.
- Keeps the Selectmen informed of the Town’s needs and ongoing conditions, and makes reports as may be required by law, or requested by the Selectmen, or judged necessary by the Town Manager.
- Takes part in all discussions which come before the Board of Selectmen but acts in a nonvoting advisory capacity.
As Chief Executive for the Town, the Town Manager is also the responsible supervisor for all department heads, including the utilities, and acts to appoint, suspend, remove, or discipline all municipal employees.
On an annual basis, the Town Manager provides to the Board of Selectmen an Operating Budget that outlines the immediate and long range financial and project plans for the Town.
About the Town Manager
Charles F. Smith was appointed as Town Manager in 2019 and was the previous Town Administrator since 2016. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance/Economics from Southern New Hampshire University and a Master of Public Administration degree from Northeastern University. Mr. Smith is a member of the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) and the Municipal Management Association of New Hampshire (MMANH).