Town of Ashland
20 Highland Street,
P.O. Box 517
Ashland NH 03217

Voice: 603.968.4432
Fax: 603.968.3776

Ashland NH Town Services

Absentee Ballot
New Hampshire RSA 657:1 specifies certain requirements for allowing voting by absentee ballot. Absentee ballots for state, federal and local elections may be requested by mail, fax, or in person by contacting the Town Clerk. Requests must be received by 5:00 pm the day before the election. Ballots may be returned in person by 5:00 pm the day before the election, or returned by mail by 5:00 pm on election day. See the Town Clerk in the Town Office for Absentee Ballots for elections.

If you are a builder or developer, or just a homeowner who wants to build a deck or enlarge your kitchen, visit our Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment to review project approval requirements. Building permit applications (for residential and commercial) have been updated as of 9/19/2016 and are available from the Building Inspector or under Land Use on the Forms and Documents page.

Business Services
If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or establishing a home business, visit our Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment web pages to review approval requirements.

Calendar of Events
Find upcoming meetings and events on the home page of the website, under "Ashland News and Upcoming Meetings."

CodeRED Information for Ashland Residents
The Town of Ashland, through the Grafton County Sheriff's Department, now offers CodeRED, which is an emergency alert system that relays information to residents by telephone. In case of an emergency, the system is capable of dialing thousands of phone numbers per hour. It then delivers our recorded message to a live person or an answering machine, making three attempts to connect to any number. Code Red

Credit Cards
Property taxes and vehicle registrations may be paid with a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express) at the Town Office or online. An additional fee of 2.79% will be charged to cover the credit card fees. Please read this notice for details.

Dog Licensing
Every owner of a dog that is at least 4 months old must license their dog by April 30 each year with the Town Clerk. You may take the Dog License Application to the Town Clerk's office or you may renew your dog license online.

Dredge and Fill Permits
According to NH RSA 482-A and 485-A:17, no person shall excavate, remove, fill, dredge or construct any structures in or on any bank, flat, marsh, or swamp in and adjacent to any waters of the state without a permit from the wetlands board. The Town Clerk's Office has further information, including the forms for Standard Dredge and Fill Application, Wetlands Permit Application and the Wetlands Permit Application for Minimum Impact Agricultural Projects.

Emergency Services
Visit our Police Department and Fire Department web pages for information on emergency services offered by the Town of Ashland. Visit the Code Red web page for information about registering for emergency alert notifications.

Healthy Living Concerns
The Health Officer is responsible for providing information on public community health concerns. The Health Officer is also responsible for enforcement of standards and inspections of rental housing, daycare/foster care facilities, and failed septic systems. Under certain conditions, the Housing Standards Board has jurisdiction to receive and act upon complaints when a dwelling does not meet certain standards.

Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL) Coalition
The Ashland Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL) Coalition is a partnership representing a cross-section of the Ashland community including local government, businesses, health care providers, schools and the community at large. Ashland HEAL Coalition

Visit the Ashland Town Library webpage or their separate website for information about the services and programs offered by the Library, including their online catalog, downloadable books and public access computers.

Marriage Licensing
Visit our Town Clerk to complete the marriage application worksheet for a marriage license (valid for 90 days, $50 fee) or to purchase a copy of a marriage certificate after the marriage occurs ($15 for first copy and $10 for each additional copy at the same time).

Motor Vehicle Registration

Ordinances and Regulations
Selected town ordinances and regulations are listed on the Forms and Documents page. Contact the Town Office for additional information or with specific questions.

Parks and Recreation
Visit the Parks and Recreation Department web page for information about our recreational programs, the Booster Club, the L. W. Packard Ballfield, the Ashland Town Beach, and the Edward N. Doggett Campground.

Payment of Taxes
Information about property taxes, including the tax year and budget billing, is available from the Tax Collector. Requests for abatement of property taxes require the Abatement Application.

Property Valuation
The 2016 property value lists are available, by owner and by map lot.  Additional information about the property assessment process may be obtained from the Town Office.

Road and Street Maintenance
Road, street and sidewalk maintenance issues are the responsibility of our Public Works Department. Visit the Public Works Department web page for contact information.

Students in Ashland attend the local Ashland Elementary School (SAU 2) for grades K-8 and Plymouth Regional High School (SAU 48) in Plymouth for grades 9-12. Visit their respective websites for further information.

Trash, Recycling and the Transfer Station
The Public Works Department web page has the hours of the transfer/recycing station, a list of items that are accepted for recycling, a list of fees for disposal of select items, and information about the decal needed for the transfer/recycling station.

Electric service information and water/sewer service information is available from the Ashland Electric Department and the Ashland Water/Sewer Department.

Vital Records
The Town Clerk will assist you in obtaining a vital records certificate for birth, death, mariage/civil union and divorce/civil union dissolution. Submit this Application for a Vital Records Certificate to the Town Clerk.

Voter Identification
During the 2012 legislative session, the New Hampshire legislature passed House Bill1354, also known as the "Voter ID" Law. The new law will phase in a photo identification requirement over a period of time. This Voter ID Explanatory Document outlines the requirements for 2012. See the Town Clerk for additional information.

Voter Information Look-Up
This link from the New Hampshire Secretary of State's Office will allow you to do the following: (1) Absentee Ballot Search; (2) Party Information; (3) Polling Place Search; (4) Clerk Information Search; and (5) State List of Clerks and Polling Places.

Voter Registration
General election information for the Town of Ashland is available from the Town Clerk. To participage in local or state elections and meetings, you must be registered to vote. You must be 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen and domiciled in the Town of Ashland. You must present proof of age, identification, domicile and citizenship.
You may register to vote at the polls on an election (not meeting) day. Voter registration applications may also be completed at the Town Clerk's Office during normal business hours, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Once completed, the application is forwarded to the Supervisors of the Checklist, who will need to accept the application before you are considered a registered voter. In addition, the Supervisors of the Checklist hold posted sessions for voter registration.

Welfare Services